Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Chemo & Chili's

You might ask what chemo and Chili's have in common...well I am here to tell you. Yesterday my mom went in for her dcotor's appointment and much to our surprise he told us that today would be her last chemo treatment!!!! It was really good news as she has been going for treatments once a week for the past year. We were all very excited and decided to take mom out for dinner to celebrate. We ended up going to Chili's and when we got our food we prayed for it as always and then our waiter just came out and asked us what church we went to. We told him C alvary Chapel Murrieta, and continued the conversation throughout our dinner. Come to find out he is originally from Riverside and harvest is his home church, he moved down here to go to Calvary Chapel Bible College, So we started talking about different classes and which teachers to take classes from and which ones not to. He was sharing about how he didn't have a car for a long time and would get rides home from people at work and just be able to start up conversation's about the Lord and all that He was doing in his life. So towards the end of dinner we told him we wanted to order dessert because we were celebrating my moms last day of chemo treatments, when he brought back our dessert he asked if he could pray for my mom. Now last time that I checked being on the clock and sitting down praying for someone was not exactly what I'm thinking your boss would want you doing. But he didn't care, because there was something that was so much more important to him. It was so encouraging and at the same time convicting. This man (oh sorry his name was Larry) was so on fire and so sincere in his faith and in everything that he said and did it opened my eyes to say, is that the way that people view me? would I be able to be so vocal about my relationship with the Lord to someone who is almost a complete stranger? I look and I would have to say that my answer would be a no. Sadly enough... But encouraging to me in the fact that anyone can get to that point. Because God calls each and everyone of us to be that.

Who knew that eating at Chili's could be such a blessing!

2 comments:

Starrs In Denver said...

Thanks for sharing Heather! What an encouraging story...yeah, convicting too!
~Rose
p.s. Hip Hip Horray for Mama Jeannie! I am so happy for her!

Unknown said...

Heather, I have to confess that I actually cried a little when I read this. Attribute it to the time of the month if you will. I thought of the famous song with the line: "he gives and takes away". I usually think about the "takes away" part as a curse, that God is taking away something we want because it's good for us. In the situation with both our moms, this line means He also has the power to take away the things that harm us too. And in taking away cancer, he has given so much more to you, your family, and even Larry the waiter.